Any experience with hand controls on a TIG torch?

It seems like it would be an improvement over navigating a foot pedal around a table. I’m more interested in actual amperage control than a simple on/off switch.

I was just thinking about this myself. I’m not good with the foot pedal anyways. I tend to just set my amperage and use full pedal anyways. I know I’m a hack. But that’s what you get when your a machinist and pretend to weld.

Then I have to revert back to machinist to clean up the mess I made.

I was looking at the different options, I’m leaning towards the momentary switch.

Hoping there are some on here with better advice.

I’ve used a few different types. Miller has one with a thumbwheel that is ok. Ck Worldwide has a thumbwheel but they also have one the has a track almost like a tank, so you can operate it in a more linear motion. The real trick is not moving your hand when changing amps. It takes some practice, and I still prefer the foot pedal when possible. However, when in a confined space like an airframe or roll cage, or up on a ladder, the hand control is king. I even built one for a micro lunch box welder that I can wear as a backpack with a scuba tank of argon to go almost anywhere. I used a liner potentiometer and I really like it.

That was my thought. Also, something that would stay put once set seems better than a finger operated version of a foot pedal.

I’m fairly new to TIG welding, do well enough with the foot pedal, but after seeing the 6061 Finger Pedal on YT, I decided to try it out.

I love it, it’s just so easy to use!

I am not affiliated with the manufacturer of this product, just a happy customer.

YT 6061: “I Made Something I Want To Show You" - TIG Welding Aluminum Fabrication - Finger Pedal Controller

6061 Finger Pedal Variable Amperage TIG Controller

1 Like