Video Discussion: "Sci-Fi Office Build Episode 6: The Portal"

We are back with the sixth episode in the Sci-Fi Office Build Series (watch it here!). This one is particularly cool because not only did the installation itself turn out pretty incredible, but it gave us an excuse to pay homage to one of our favorite game series of all time: Portal.

This idea came from a few years back when we were working on the exterior of the office and designing the detailing around the outside. It was thrown around that we try making holograms, star maps (which might pay off in a future episode hint hint), or even a portal by use of infinity mirrors. Well for us, the latter finally came back around while designing the stairs.

Share your questions and thoughts here, and enjoy the episode!

Your design is incredible. I cannot imagine working in an office space like yours. When you are finished enter it in architectural or interior design competitions. Your work is worthy of recognition.

One comment on the stairs, the reason that rise and run are constant is to avoid tripping hazards. The arrows look great and they are a good guide, but they also create a tripping hazard, think high heels, I have two outside sets of concrete stairs with varying rises and runs. The railings are on one side only. While carrying items such as trash bags and wearing shoes with composite soles, I have experienced a slip, a trips, and a fall. The first time I strained my shoulder. The second time I tore my rotator cuff. The last fall resulted in a concussion, followed by; a subdural hematoma, a major stroke, a stroke, two TIAs, several seizures and a broken wrist. We are in the process of replacing our stairs.

1 Like

The time and detail into video editing is above any others. I greatly applaud those behind the camera and editing computers.

Did the overall size of this office ever get shared? I do not recall the square footage in any previous videos, but maybe I missed it. Is there a bathroom in the office area? Or do office workers use a bathroom located elsewhere in the shop? Is the entire shop climate controlled or only the individual office areas? Personal featured in the videos always have hoodies on, as if it’s cool in the shop. And what size is the shop? I’ve always wondered this ever sense the shop move videos a few years ago.

Leading in from the edge when cutting glass is best on the waterjet. Just know your Flow has the capability of piercing the glass without fracturing. It’s a device called UltraPierce. All Flow brand machines have this option available but maybe not be active. Look next to the “Water” off/auto/on buttons in the run screen. You will see “Vacuum”. This is also why the mixing chamber has a second abrasive port. The Ultra Pierce attaches to this second port. It’s a bit tedious to setup for a first time user. But once you dial in the settings, it is very reliable and repeatable.

Great work by the entire Fireball crew.

Sorry to hear this, you are correct, codes for stairs are there for a reason!

1 Like

@NickJ Thank you for the kind words. We have not yet disclosed all of the specifications to the office yet, that will most likely come in the very last “reveal” episode. But I can answer a couple of your questions:

The bathrooms are located elsewhere in the shop. The shop is technically climate controlled, but the office has A/C & heat functionality that is more precise and responsive (this because of fixed control we need due to the amount of computers & bodies in a relatively smaller space), but we do like to run a cool ship.