How do you remove combiclick pads from the backing pad?

I just picked up Combiclick Finishing Set. All the videos I’ve seen online make it look like a trivial tool change.

It was huge struggle to get the 36 grit disc onto the pad. There is simply no way to get a grip on the backing pad on its own and the discs are curved so you have to flatten them out while twisting them onto the pad.

I had to put the pad on an angle grinder and use the arbor lock with one hand while putting pressure on the center of the disc and rotating with the other.

The arbor lock trick does not work for removing the disc because the pad will unthread from the angle grinder.

This system is advertised as tool-less but I would prefer it had a tool for removing these pads.

I have no idea what to do now. How do y’all do it?

Does your grinder have a lock to prevent it from spinning? I just press the lock and hold the grinder with one hand and twist and press the new pad on and off. It’s really pretty easy.

It kinda breaks in after some use. I’ll give you that’s annoying at first, though.

How often do you use your combiclick?

I noticed it was hard to get the discs off the pad without removing the pad as well… at first, but after a few changes I got the hang of it. You’ll get it.

1 Like

This is what I mean by arbor lock, but when I rotate the disk in the opposite direction for removal it just unthreads the backer.

I just received it and now have an unused 36 grit disc stuck on the backer.

1 Like

What brand is your grinder? You might need to add the metal washer that normally backs a grinding disc before the backing pad is threaded on. But it sounds like you’re not able to tighten the pad tight enough to the arbor. Once you get that solved it the abrasive pad should come off easily with the lock engaged.

1 Like

It’s a practice thing, I usually don’t even need to use the arbor lock anymore. I just firmly wrap my hand around the base of the pad, wedging my fingers between the back of the pad and the grinder (with gloves on) and that’ll hold the pad in place well enough to press and twist the grinding disc on and off.

1 Like

Metabo. After a bunch more wrestling I got the disk off. it seems easier to remove and re-install now that its been off and on once.

First time I used it, was a heck of a time getting it on and off.

1 Like