How Warped Are Your Welding Tables?

If I had a 20’ straightedge I’d use it.

Red shims are an 1/8” blue is 1/16” , 1/32” are used sparingly and I’m ok admitting those tolerances- as you can see I’m not working for NASA but the dimensions on the plans are respected and when the grinder stays on the shelf it’s a good day :+1:t2: cheers

I’d love to work off a fireball table just for the sheer enjoyment of the idea of “perfection”

1 Like

I just finished building a table. Tired of workin* on concrete floor. Been watching the videos and keeping up with the forum questions and answers. Mine is 36”x56” 1/4” high carbon plate. I bought the FB tool 3/4” posts and nuts to level it. I checked for flat and the worst gap from my straightedge is .015. I could dial it in a little tighter but the plate is wavy and not worth the extra effort. I cut 5/8” holes 2” on center. Modified the number of holes to reduce warp from plasma heat.

My total material cost with the scrap 1/4” plate, plasma cut, base metal, FB posts a clamp fixture kit is well over $1,100. It was a fun project and I thought I could get a flat table and save money; but, if I had to do it over I’d buy a dragon wagon. They weren’t available when I jumped down this rabbit hole-lol. Thanks for the forum.

It would be hard to get much more flat then the table I have, it’s a 24"x36" platen off a CNC machine that was being sold for scrap. I don’t have a straight edge that large to check it but the table itself is undamaged and was precision ground at the beginning of its life. I paid $250 for the table and got the materials for the base from the scrap yard. My welding on the base is pretty poor, I’d really like to grind them down and re-weld everything. At the time I had an old welder that I was fighting and have since replaced it with a improved multi process machine that does a much better job.

View post on imgur.com

defiantly a nice find on the table!