Is the Yost 34C a good vise? Let's dig into it!

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share some insights from a recent experience with the Yost 34C vise, particularly focusing on its functionality and value compared to alternatives like the Fireball 614 Hardtail. Here’s a rundown based on a hands-on demonstration:

Performance & Build Quality: During a test with an eighth-inch steel bar, the Yost 34C showed some quirks. It struggled a bit with bending the material with bending dies inserted into the vise, even needing a cheater bar to reach a 90-degree angle. I had my 15 year old son try to bend the steel before he resorted to using the cheater bar. In contrast, the 614 Hardtail managed the task more smoothly and precisely, highlighting differences in usability and performance. When he used the 614 to bend the material he was met with relatively low resistance and didn’t come close to needing a cheater.

Mechanical Details: One interesting aspect discussed was the double start thread mechanism in the Yost 34C. This design allows for quicker movement per handle turn (half an inch), emphasizing speed but potentially compromising on clamping force, as demonstrated in a torque test. Just an interesting detail.

Clamping Force: In the torque test, the Yost 34C delivered a clamping force significantly lower than the 614 under the same conditions, suggesting it might not meet expectations in demanding clamping scenarios despite other advantages like having taller jaws. When I input 100 pounds into the Yost, it generated 1788 pounds of clamping force, whereas the 614 generated 9738 pounds.

Price & Value: Both vices are similarly priced around $1800 to $2000, depending on the source and any ongoing sales. This makes them comparable in terms of investment, but potential buyers might consider the trade-offs between speed and clamping power before making a decision.

Conclusion: So, is the Yost 34C a good vice? It depends on your priorities. If you don’t need extremely high clamping force, its unique features like the double start thread might appeal to you. However, if robust clamping force, and better efficiency is critical for your work, you might find it lacking compared to alternatives like the 614 Hardtail.

I hope this breakdown helps answer some of your questions if you’re considering investing in a new vise. Feel free to share your experiences or ask further questions—it’s always great to exchange knowledge and opinions here on the forum!

-Jason

Maybe I’m just jaded but I can’t see buying the Yost unless it was under $200 and only for the ability to clamp things quickly rather than with useful force. It’s interesting to see that double thread design. As a hobbyist I just can’t see spending that much for it not to even be an heirloom tool.