Video Discussion: Why Do Good Welders Get This Wrong? (Inspector Fabricator) - Questions & Comments Thread

@Fireball_Jason The 20 1/4" callout and measurement can be true even if the 90deg callout is 89/91 if that is what you were referring to.

2 Likes

I don’t believe it’s necessary. The plans are clearly labeled 90, that means 1/16 in any direction gives you the value of 1/8”. 15” high and a 1/16 distance in any direction off of 90.

Hi Firetool.
I really enjoy your videos, they are very educational🙂

A thought, in relation to the task, which clearly shows that all 3 fail.
Would it be an idea to invite them to your workshop and show them how they fail and what they can do to correct/get better🙂
i.e. constructive criticism.

Have a phrase that I love to use.

If you are not made aware that you have made a mistake, you can do nothing to correct the mistake (redo it if necessary) I am of the belief that everyone has the right/claim to be told if they have done something that does not live up to what is required!! so they get a fair chance to change it. It is really easy to criticize people for not being able to deliver the right product. And can destroy people’s businesses. (I am not thinking here of repeated mistakes about the same subject)

Regards Jesper
Denmark

1 Like

The problem is one of human nature, they have been making parts that are not to spec for years. I bet if you asked them they have never been pulled up on what they have been fabricating as not good enough/up to spec ever, so they just carry on until it becomes a problem. To charge $170 an hour to not produce to spec is “getting away with it” I also bet that if the ones that said they would fix any “problems” were called on it when they realized they could not actually do the job needed would just give you a full refund to go away. Until customers complain often about out-of-spec builds they won’t be buying anything needed to produce that spec.

5 Likes

@Fireball_Jason Think of it this way, you essentially have two square planes stacked 15" apart. Assume both planes can be dead nuts 20x20.25". Because you have no angular tolerance on your 90deg callouts nor perpendicular GD&T Symbols your table can look like a parallelogram looking at it from both drawing views on the right side of the drawing and still satisfy the print. No shop can pull a tape measure between the outside corners of the top plane and bottom plane without a CMM machine. so you are relying on that 90deg callout. Which in my experience as shown would be interpreted as +/-1deg. and that doesn’t even factor in the two 20x20.25 “square” planes not being square, to that same +/- 1deg that i assumed.

2 Likes

So, your video basically just confirmed that none of the fabricators take the job seriously. They don’t even know if it’s flat or things are the correct length. They’re just hoping and doing very basic sanity checks, without attempting to get to any level of precision.

So yes, these tests aren’t good because it’s clear they don’t actually care to try to be precise, and you can’t compare “I’m using a fixture table and trying to be as precise as possible” to “I’m not using a fixture table and I don’t really care about this project”.

The only real way to compare the two is the impress the actual importance of precision on them, which just handing them a drawing clearly isn’t doing. If someone else wanted a precise part, and was delivered what those guys gave you, they’d not pay, and something tells me those guys having a fixture table wouldn’t change that at all. It doesn’t matter what tools you have if you don’t care about the job.

2 Likes
  1. Explicitly call out the tolerances that you need to them in person. I know that you shouldn’t have to, but if you mention the considerations such as twist, flatness, warping - Do they then manage to work to the required tolerances? It would be interesting to see if they then charge more for this.

2. I’d like to see you ask another generic fabrication company who does have a fixture table, I’d be curious if they take the job seriously or not despite having the fixture table. Do they get complacent?

2 Likes

15 minutes labor?

Will you be doing a video showing a fixture table solving the weld distortion from the “legs”?

2 Likes

The only real way to compare the two is the impress the actual importance of precision on them, which just handing them a drawing clearly isn’t doing. If someone else wanted a precise part, and was delivered what those guys gave you, they’d not pay, and something tells me those guys having a fixture table wouldn’t change that at all. It doesn’t matter what tools you have if you don’t care about the job.

If a customer provides a detailed specification and I accept the job (and their deposit!) then I have agreed to meet the terms of the contract (aka the specification). It is not the customer’s responsibility to impress on me the importance of doing the job correctly.

If anything you could say that this video is testing the skill and craftsmanship of these particular welders more so then the need to use a fixture table. However, between the two videos we now have 6 welders who have failed the tasks.

Perhaps for the next video there should be an open call for welders who specifically want to demonstrate an effective and timely welding process that doesn’t require a fixture table.

2 Likes

Great video, even as I cringed during the fabricator interviews. The quote filling my head during the entire video was Dirty Harry’s “A man’s GOT to know his limitations.”

During your demonstrations, you mentioned welding the verticals away from the seams to reduce stresses. Some of the shots of the tables showed the seams oriented every which way; is this another “Yikes!”, irrelevant, or actually a good thing?

Other commenters have suggested challenging other fabs that use fixture tables, and I heartily agree. However, I would’ve also liked to see you do the challenge yourself on your plate table (since all your target fabricators used plate tables) and give the results to Cesar’s CMM. This should help isolate the ability/care component and get a better grasp of the time/effort/cost required to succeed, or at least how closely you can expect to fail. Then repeat with the full-fat fixture table process to demonstrate the savings and profit proposition.

I’m thinking it would help them to understand the seriousness of your project by explaining your need for such precision.
Make up something to tell them… It’s a gyro disgronificator base to measure the cellular parallelity of dilithium crystals.
I bet they all assume it was for a table with a glass top and rubber cushions like the first guy said.

1 Like

I like this series, but I think you are being unrealistic with the level of quality expected with the shops you are visiting. As mentioned previously you do not bring your Italian sports car to the corner garage to be worked on. I think it should be stressed when quoting that the tolerances are tight and if they can achieve them, not just relying on handing them a drawing. Frequently I see draftsmen that have unrealistic tolerances because they have no actual hands on experience. The shops you are visiting however should be asking you if you really need those tolerances and if in their capability explain its going to be a significant expense to set up fixturing, mitigate warp, etc.
The biggest negative you have against you, which from a quality perspective shouldn’t even be a concern, but it is, is a very small job, from a walk in customer. Human nature is the issue here. Most “real” shops I know dont even entertain walk in work, its just not worth their time for a onesie from someone they will never see again, balk at the price in the end, and maybe will never even show up to pay when the work is complete.
I would like to see more testing with shops that actually have the capability to achieve this and how they perform. Fixture tables are nothing new, it would be interesting to see if someone with an old school platen like an Acorn could compete with accuracy and set up time vs a Fireball.

2 Likes

Alright 45. All the measurements and cuts were given to them. It was a fast job

If you do the test again add one shop with a fixture table, see if the issue is lack of tools or industry wide. Also for a real control, add a machinist whose word revolves around tolerances.

Hi! I’m absolutely not a professional fabricator, but because of the lack of full training I have a tendency to think outside of the “normal” box for solutions to problems.

My main go-to for making things as accurate as I can without “proper” tools is to reference everything off of the base unit itself.
For this I wouldn’t rely on a table to keep things flat; I’d get another piece of tubing and clamp the individual parts to that before a weld to keep 'em in reference to each other.
I didn’t consider the weld distortion, though; I’d probably try to pre-heat the pieces beforehand to combat that. I don’t know how well it’d work, though. There’s another option of, if a distortion is found, to put some weld on the reverse, and then grind it off. It’d add internal stress, but the tolerances would be good.
And for small tweaks I like to clamp where the problem is, and apply pressure in a manner that doesn’t affect anything I don’t want it to. (I may have screwed some stuff up before finding that out…)

I kinda want to grab my crappy 120v flux-core MIG and give this a try some time, see how bad I screw it up. Heh.

It is when you’re hiring Jimbo, who welds PTO acceptance shafts that don’t ever require precision or something, and clearly doesn’t care about the job unless someone complains.

You say it’s just these craftsmen, but he’s gone to 6 different ones now, all of which fail at the very basic level of caring. It’s becoming clear it’s probably endemic.

2 Likes

I think the real reason these are made out of spec is that these type of fabricators are never asked to build within these tolerances, they have never actually measured what their capabilities are. These projects seem so basic to them that they don’t take it seriously. I bet if you told them that you would pay $1000 if they meet qc or $0 if they would do a better job, or turn the work away.

3 Likes

This video mostly reveals that dealing with distortion causes by heat is difficult to overcome. I don’t believe it was of any significance but the print does have several errors. If no tolerance is defined for angles they should be in parenthesis and treated as reference. I believe the weld symbols are also incorrect… the symbol details should be on the bottom side of the line (the top side of the line defines weld requirements on the side opposite of the arrow). I find most drafters/ engineers do not use weld symbols correctly and many welders do not know how to interpret them.

2 Likes

Is it a “problematic epidemic” if the fabricators never have their work rejected? 99% of the time they are getting away with it. So is the customer A: not noticing it’s out of spec B:Never needed that high spec in the first place. C: making the out-of-spec part work with modifications.

1 Like