Loudly proclaiming my ignorance here

I’m pretty new to working with metal. Unlike dimensional lumber where 2X4 means something different, metal stock seems to be dimensioned as advertised. What’s the solution for fitting parts with 1" ID and OD together without a lot of slop? I understand that ID of the female part can be managed in some cases with wall thickness, but what about something like a pillow block where the ID is what it is? There’s got to be something better than a 7/8"OD shaft in a 1"ID bearing, right?

Tubing is measured by its OD. Pipe is measured by its ID. This might get you close to what you’re looking for. Mixing and matching wall thickness and sizes are always an issue to get a desired “fit”. Most of the time off the shelf material won’t fit together. This is why the Machinist trade and tools exists. There is some shaft material that is ground to size and ready to use with bearings that is ready to go. A good example is telescopic square tube. It’s almost impossible to get the desired size material and fitting with another. Custom tubing dies can be made if large quantities are needed. I use a lot of receiver tubing for this reason. You can by it in short pieces sometimes, but it’s pricey. Also don’t forget about the weld seam that’s always in the way.

Thanks, Jason. I figured that machining was going to enter the chat at some point. I’ll look into the shaft material that you mentioned, but I’m guessing that some careful work with an angle grinder will get me there.

Here’s a video about limits and fits and how to specify them:

@tcat if you haven’t stumbled into this concept, yet, then it might shed a little light here as well.

That was a fun rabbit hole, thanks.

In this instance the sleeve is a bearing race and the shaft is a section of solid round bar. The good news is that a pillow block is massive overkill for a mechanism to raise and lower a grill. If I can’t bubba a decent fit by shaving a bit of shaft material with a grinder it looks like solid bearings come in a good variety of incremental sizes.

That inside weld seam ! Damn it… I was making up some “shoes” for a large plow blade and wanted some height adjustability of the shoe. I used 2 ½" receiver tube and then 2 ½"" solid square bar stock to which the Convex shoe disc was welded on. I ended up grinding a logitudinal groove in the male stock where the weld seam was in the receiver tube. Pain in the … as then the stock only fits one way, and I even need to know which one goes on the left side and right side of the plow blade.
Anyone have a good way to deal with the inside weld? I suppose there is weldless receiver tubing, but it is probably prohibitively expensive.
Also, square stock and reciever have to have the same rounded over edge profile!

I have never seen any that has a weld seam or if it did it was smooth on the inside.