Why Don't You Cut Your Wood With a Water Jet?

For larger wood cutting jobs that require bringing the wood to a local CNC Router shop, I recommend brining your wood to a water jet shop instead. The cuts can be very sharp and precise. Inside angles are no issue and the radius of the router bit doesn’t dictate how rounded a corner might be. Hire a waterjet operator.

Have any of you guys had success with this?

1 Like

Here is a great example of Jason using the waterjet to cut wood from the Bandsaw Restoration Part 2 video. I remember some commenters were concerned about the wood getting water-logged, but the jet is so powerful that is cut through the wood fast, so water didn’t have time to seep in. Just after a few minutes of drying (and blowing it off with compressed air), the wood was good to go.

2 Likes

Because I don’t have one.

Usually just do CNC, but this makes me want to find a place that does have a waterjet.

Yes we waterjet all kinds of different materials - it’s a damn handy tool to have on hand. We have done wood and ceramics, although mostly we are doing steel, stainless steel and alumunium.

Whoops - old thread. No matter, doesn’t hurt to expand the interest.

1 Like

Back in the 80s at Westec they were cutting wedding cake with a water jet minus the abrasive, and handing it out. It was completely dry and the swirls of frosting just ended at the cut. Something no knife could do.

1 Like