Fireball Tooth Block vs 28mm Universal Stop

In this short video, I put these table fixtures to the test. See how the Fireball tooth block performs compared to a 28mm universal stop. Which fixture is the strongest? What do you guys think of these fixture stops?

2 Likes

Do you remember what pressure it took in test one to move things?

So I am looking through you tooling and see you have 16mm and 5/8" both, there only .004 apart why have both?

Hand tightening the 28 pin, 500 lbs slides the fixture. This may seem like a lot but, it moves very easily if you bonk it with a piece of material or clamp with to much force against it.

Actually .004 is a lot. You can tell a difference in the slop in the fixture if you use 5/8 tooling in 16mm hole. This is why we provide both. Also the 50mm hole spacing vs 2”.

2 Likes

I literally Lol’d when you put the four bolts in there.
Your tooth blocks and the Maximus clamps are two really cool products you have that I haven’t seen before. Can’t wait to see the next new product!

1 Like

I love those universal stops, but I only use them as diagonals, sometimes with a tooth block to lock the angle.

Yes the tooth block is awesome but there are still times I would not want the washer in there and I would be curious of all the people out there with them on how much of the time do they leave it out? Having to lift the block over the teeth can be a pain, especially when you have something clamped to the vertical. sometimes you just want to scooch it over. I’m also curious how much deflection you get when the washer is not in place? I was thinking about this yesterday and thought this could all be done from the top and probably eliminate the third piece (washer) altogether. Is this all about having a reference point to index off of?
You should poll your IG followers on how much of the time they leave out the washer!

Building on the table in the last year I can not remember a single time that we have not used the tooth washer with the tooth blocks. You have a resolution down to 1/16" with the washers and you have down to 1/32" with our shims. The whole purpose of the system is to not have an “infinity slot” as Jason like to call it, but you have a slot with defined increments. The only reason I could see not using the tooth washer is if you are using a referential measurement. But even then if it is something that tight I would rather have a solid stationary block and shim out to dimension. You should take a look at our last couple of fixture fundamentals videos and you will get a better idea of how we utilize these features on our table system.

2 Likes

To be fair, you guys will have a biased opinion, which is expected. That’s why I suggested you should poll your users. This would be good info for you guys to have more than anything! I know how I use my table and yes, plenty of times the tooth block would be handy, as well as times the washer would be in the way. And having to keep track of the washer would be the biggest pain…
I’m not trying to be argumentative, but you keep putting out videos that aren’t showing the whole picture!

I don’t have any kind of special relationship with Fireball so I don’t believe I have any bias there, but I can say I haven’t yet omitted the washer. If I’m using the tooth block, I’m using the washer. Then again, everything I do is measured and trying to hit dimensions if I’m using fixtures. Otherwise it’s a no-measure, quick and dirty repair I wouldn’t be using fixtures for anyway.

Can you give me an example of where you would use your slots where the tooth washer would get in the way?

1 Like

One huge disadvantage to the slot fixture is locating it on the table when a fixture map is created or when you have a repeat job.

The tooth block can be placed in the same location with thousands of an inch accuracy. Simply record the front hole placement and how far the block was extended from the hole. Save the location and return to in the future.

Also the tooth block is modular. It can be configured into many different shapes and accessories. It really is a far superior design.

2 Likes

Like I said earlier, if I have something clamped up to a vertical and need to move it slightly, that’s a hard thing to do as you have to lift it over the teeth. This might be a rare occurrence but it happens none the less. If the washer isn’t there, how much deflection can I expect if the bolt is in the middle?

You can reverse the washer location from the bottom to the top by flipping the block over. The teeth will be facing up making it easier to slide, but the teeth are more exposed to damage from spatter or dropped parts. All the risers and attachments still work in both configurations.

2 Likes

I definitely get the advantages of it, and if/when you make some for a Siegmund 22 I’ll be your first customer. This is more about making claims like your bolt is plenty strong and 28mm is overkill then only backing those claims up by using the tooth block is border line snake oil salesman… Embrace the differences, whether good or bad! You have a ton of followers that believe in you as well as I, don’t play sleight of hand games to make up for a lack of benefit, this will diminish your brand, I don’t want that, the industry needs you! Do the tests, all of the tests, show where you fail and show where you succeed, just be honest about it! It’s not easy but it’s worth it!

First saw the tooth block in the video on building the long rail for the Star Wars office. I think it’s brilliant. I hope it is patent protected.

1 Like