Group Buy of the Month

This is something we looked at a while back, it’s quite pricey but we do have a great set in mind. It’s a set that uses spiral flute, bottoming style taps.

It would be about $275 for a full set of UNC drills and taps going up to 1/2". This is an 18 pc set going from 6-32 up to 1/2"-13 plus metal index.

5 Likes

It wouldnt be the frist set of specialty tools that was in a 300 to 400 price range, ive never personally used the spiral flute design outside of those drill/tap bits designed for impacts. Perhaps they are the way to go.

The big advantage of the spiral flute designs is they are designed for blind holes, so they are better at clearing chips out. Despite the “thinner” look, they’re less likely to break during usage due to better chip evacuation, so while it’s 2-3x the cost of a normal set, you greatly reduce the chances of dealing with a broken tap in your part.

3 Likes

Bump to the top….

Ended up going with Drillco since we have a pre-existing relationship with them through Walter, they’re able to get us excellent pricing and have always been great to work with. Unfortunately a lot of companies have policies that make it difficult to business with, never have inventory, and ship slow.

These are in stock. We’ve been making improvements to our shipping department so most orders are shipping in less than 2 business days.

115 pc jobber length set

Drillco Part Number 400N0115

2 Likes

Just ordered…!! Thanks.

2 Likes

Id be interest in both a drill set and tap set.

3 Likes

@JLP_blacksmith we’ll work to add some more sets next month like that

2 Likes

Some ideas

1. How about a value brand of IP67 calipers in 6, 8, 12 inch options?

2. I’ve recently purchased some screwdrivers (fixed and ratcheting replaceable bit style) from a Japanese brand called Vessel that have impressed me so far. Worth checking out to see if anything looks cool to you guys. The ball grip tang thru screwdrivers and ratcheting ball grip are my favorites that I’ve tried.
    [Ratcheting Ball Grip Screwdriver on Amazon](VESSEL - BALL GRIP Ratchet Interchangeable Screwdriver with 10 PC. Bit Set 2200MBH120K01 https://a.co/d/chX3HKt )

3. Dynabrade belt files? (in case anyone has hundreds of dollars burning a hole in their pocket) Or the best value version of a belt file you can find on the market?

4. Drop shipped welding gas bottles?

5. Welding gas line quick release fittings to quickly change between gas types (I’ve bought some from HTP for my HTP machines and Linde for my old Lincoln and new Primeweld, but they aren’t the same style connector so it’s not as flexible. It is still awesome to quickly switch gas type on my multiprocess machines though)

I’ll try and think of some more things. I’m sure once I’m in the garage I’ll remember more.

1 Like