Post Your Hardtail Vise Stands

Post pictures of you Hardtail Vise stand. Share how you mounted yours and the optimum height for working. I recommend 36-42 inches. Here are a few that you guys made!

(From @Apexish on Instagram)

(@mexashop1 on Instagram)______(@greatlakeextremeoffroad on Instagram)

2 Likes

@Preston_M @Fireball_Jason

As an owner of the hardtail and getting ready to make a base, Any chance of releasing a dxf or even selling a 1/2" plate the same dimensions/contour of the base of the hardtail? Would be awesome for us building hardtail stands to be able to plasma cut/etc a plate that we weld to our stands and then bolt the hardtail too so its all pretty and matching. A square plate doesn’t match the attractiveness of the hardtail vise:)

2 Likes

I like that idea and I don’t even own a hardtail!

@ToddReed12 Yes I plan to have a contoured plate available.

@Fireball_Jason like this coming week?:slight_smile: I’m ready

@ToddReed12 Its still in the production phase. I’ll let everyone know when they become available.

I’m designing a vise stand and am looking for any feedback. The idea is this tripod design which will be bolted down to the concrete floor via (4) 3/4" diameter anchor bolts.The front of the mounting plate will be 24" from the wall, so the vise can swivel 360 degrees. 32" wide at the base. 29" from floor to top of mounting plate (this will put the top of the throat at 38" off the floor, which is a dimension I would like to maintain). The top surface the vise mounts to is 1" thick with (4) 3/4" diameter holes for through-bolts. The legs are 4"x4" 1/4" wall. The base (part touching the floor) is 1/2" thick.

What do you all think? Any suggested changes?

@ImEngineer Looks sturdy but I’d be concerned with your toe’s hitting the angle supports when working at the side of the vise. Maybe a more forward position on the vise?

1 Like

That’s a good point. I’d be trading off a bit of stability for accessibility; which is probably worth it.

I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on vise stands like these (single post with a floor flange):

It is a compact design, but I would be worried about the base not being stable enough; especially when holding heavy parts, or wailing on something with a 10lb sledge hammer (which I occasionally do). Even if you bolt it to the concrete, there is a strong twisting moment that would put a lot of stress on the concrete. My shop’s concrete is ~4" thick and and I’d be afraid of it cracking over time with a design like this.

Here is how that tripod vise stand would look with the front legs swept back 6". Looks cool.

1 Like

The center of mass of the vise (when closed) is about 2" in front of the base. Plenty of room for toes with this design, but also the base relies more on the floor anchor bolts to stay standing up and (as mentioned above) I’m a bit concerned about stress on the concrete from the anchor bolts being shock loaded.

I think the post design is the safe bet for all around access. But it does lack style and creativity. I don’t think the concrete will crack if you decide to do a post. I’ve seen guys with anvils put more pounding loads on the concrete then the vise stand will see. The swept back leg stands will be a good compromise if your still worried about stability and the concrete.

2 Likes

My vice stand.

5 Likes

Great pics! They make me half expect to see a pin-up girl in the photo as well. :wink:

–Larry

2 Likes

I like the incorporation of the tray. That will be handy for vise accessory’s. What height did the top of the jaws end up at?

1 Like

Maybe for the next photo shoot when the car build is finished. :laughing:

Thanks Jason, the height at the top of the jaws is 38.5”. The tray will be nice since I always need room to store more stuff! It also gives me a spot to get a floor jack under to move it around until I find a place to bolt it down.

I figured the newest Fireball Tool addition to my shop was as good a way to introduce myself here as any. I may pull the trigger on a couple 2’x3’ dragon wagons soon too as all the squares and the hardtail vise have all been stellar. In addition to the welding equipment in the garage I’ve got some CNC machines as well as an old (1980’s Taiwan vintage) Enco manual mill and manual lathe.

With all the tools, space is getting tight, especially with bikes and everything else that’s also in there. Shed build in the spring is going to help a fair bit.

Back to the task at hand.

Vise stand also holds the various extra jaws (including some magnetic aluminum ones), small tool kit, and a work table that I can clamp in the vise that lines up perfectly with my bandsaw to support long material (anything over 7’ long on the I feed side will reach it). Cut the 1/2 plate and jaw hanger on my CNC plasma table and welded it up straight thanks to a Megasquare. 5/8" sleeve anchors into the concrete at wide spacing should keep it anchored through the Armageddon, they’re rated for like 2x the load of the wedge style concrete anchors.

1 Like

@mRhAnKbOt I really like the jaw rack. It looks pro, nice work. What hight did you set the jaws?

1 Like

I had to guesstimate the bolt size of the jaws to make the hangers the right size, fortunately correctly. I tried calling, emailing, and Facebook Messenger but never got a response so I rolled the dice and made it and powder coated it before the vise came. So far, not much I’d change about the stand, and the vise is amazing. It’s an upgrade in capacity AND precision over any vise I’ve had before. Normally when things get bigger they get less precise, and this thing breaks that norm in a big way. A couple of Dragon Wagon tables in an L shape around the vise will likely be the new center of the workshop.

Edited to add, jaws are at 37.75" above the floor. I’m 6’ tall, but wanted it 1/4" below the height of the bandsaw vise, and find it’s a good height to work on something clamped in the vise. I have a smaller vise on a workbench at 53" for working on small stuff I want my face closer to.